One of The University of Texas at El Paso’s oldest assets is the Hoover House, home to the institution’s President since 1965. The historic two-story home at 711 Cincinnati Ave. in the Kern Place neighborhood was on the outskirts of the city when it was built 100 years ago for the family of banker, Texas legislator and future El Paso Mayor Richard M. Dudley. Local architect Charles M. Gibson designed the residence for Dudley in 1916. Robert and Louisiana Hoover eventually purchased the property in 1944. Robert Hoover died in 1960 and his wife donated the property to The University of Texas System in 1965 to be home of the University’s President. Some modifications have been made through the years, such as the addition of air conditioning in 1966. Much work has been done to restore the home’s original architectural style. Today, University President Diana Natalicio uses the property to entertain visitors and VIPs for special UTEP events.
- Daniel Perez
Drag the sliders to the left and right on the photos below to see how some of the rooms looked then and now.